Monday, June 28, 2010

June 24, Thursday

Today we visit Saynatsalo Town Hall, Jyvaskla University, and the Alto museum. All buildings by or about Alvar Alto (there are starting to be jokes about only being able to go a few hours without seeing an Alto building). He's really like a God in this country.

Saynatsalo Town Hall is one of his most famous works, and one I was very excited to see! The project was smaller than I had imagined it, but still very nice.  The lighting brought through to the inside was my favorite part, as well as the little library (which is to the right in this picture).





Included in his total works of art are his door handles (they are like a signature on each building). Here is a door handle from the inside and my sketch of it!









 Jyvaskla University had quite a few Alto buildings, but I was getting tired at this point and stopped sketching for the day :)  I took pictures though! Here are my classmates ascending a famous staircase at the University. Alto is one to make you do things with his architecture, and here you have to go up to and then go back down before you enter the main campus.

 Our last stop of the day was at the Alto museum (which he built for himself!). These are just a few of the chairs he designed over his career. They are all very comfortable! I've been sitting in every one of his chairs I've had an opportunity to sit it!

No comments:

Post a Comment